Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a motel Manger. I just got firedone I have two weeks to…

Customer Question
I am a...

I am a motel Manger. I just got firedone I have two weeks to get packed and move, but still have to do the job I was doing before I got fired

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No owner is very rude to me,she calls me stupid

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I don't belong to a union. I leave in Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The employer is entitled to terminate an employee at will unless you had a written contract to the contrary. When your residence is tied to your employment, meaning you live on site as part of your pay and you are terminated, since you are no longer being paid the employer could insist you leave the property immediately (you are not like a regular tenant) or if they give you 2 weeks, they can insist you work to pay for your rent for staying on the property.

If you do not want to continue working for the owner, then you do not have to work for him, but you would need to move out immediately instead of waiting 2 weeks.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.