Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Was experiencing severe morning sickness that waa causing my…

Customer Question
Was experiencing severe morning...

Was experiencing severe morning sickness that waa causing my quality of work to diminish. Had conversation with boss where he agreed an abortion might be beneficial to my situation.. I put in a notice of needing a few days off to get and recover from the abortion yet still got fired supposedly for 2 no call no shows on the 2 days i had put in a notice for and have all text messages.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination which is prohibited under state and federal law at 42 USC 2000e-2. My belief is that you were probably terminated on the basis of your gender and on the basis of your disability (pregnancy). The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within 45 days. The Counselors must advise
individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

In addition, if your employer was eligible to offer FMLA, then they should have offered it to you. This would have protected your job while you were out recovering from the procedure. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Have you considered applying for unemployment yet?

Tina, Lawyer