Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can you explain what an "exempt" status employee is? From my…

Customer Question
First, can you explain what...
First, can you explain what an "exempt" status employee is? From my understanding, we are paid a salary and it's fixed. No matter the hours worked, we will receive our normal pay. And overtime compensation is non-existent. So, my question is, why I have to utilize leave every time that I have to leave work for a medical appointment? Since personal, vacation, and sick is lumped in together. I only have enough time for appointments. It seems pretty unfair to never have time for a vacation. However, I can work over 80 hours a week and it counts towards nothing.Another question: If I resign, can I ask for copies of the records in my personnel file?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

There are three categories under which an employee may be considered exempt. They are administrative, executive, and professional. These categories generally define an exempt employee as one who customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment in the performance of his/her duties.

For records, if you work for the government, you can have access to your records. Or if you are filing a claim against the company, as part of the discovery, you could get access.

We can discuss more if you want to do so.

I am considered exempt; however, I answer to a supervisor. So my independent judgment is at a minimum. Also, I work for a small business that contract with the federal government for accounting services. So I am not government, per se. I just work in a government building, in support of government finances, but employed through a company based out of Atlanta, GA.

It's factual based. How are you treated at the firm? If you are more like a secretary or support staff, then you would be considered nonexempt. If you are a professional (college educated and working in the field, master's degree, etc.) or an executive you would be considered exempt. Reporting to a supervisor could mean you are non-exempt if you are more like support staff.

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Tina, Lawyer