Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In North Carolina am I still responsible for support if my…

Customer Question
In North Carolina am...

In North Carolina am I still responsible for support if my daughter is 18 and only goes to school for 1 hr a day. She needs the 1 hr( 1 class ) a day to officially graduate. She turned 18 in Nov 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Was what discussed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I pay based on my hourly wage

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, that's not going to be enough to terminate your child support obligation. In NC, payments for child support terminate upon the earliest of the following conditions:

1. The minor child turns eighteen (18) years of age and is not attending school
2. The minor child becomes emancipated;
3. If the minor child is still in primary or secondary school when he reaches age 18, support payments shall continue until the child graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation, or reaches age 20, whichever comes first, unless the court in its discretion orders that payments cease at 18 or prior to high school graduation;
4. The minor child dies;
5. The parent responsible for paying child support dies;
6. The custody of the minor child is changed to the party who was paying the support obligation; or
7. If the child is either physically or mentally incapable of caring for himself, support shall not end until the child is found to be competent for his own care.

As such, even though the child is taking a single class to graduate, that's enough to still be enrolled and not yet graduated. And as such, if those conditions are met that could continue until age 20 (or she graduates, whichever occurs first).

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer