Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was given notice at my job yesterday that i have been

Customer Question
I was given notice...

I was given notice at my job yesterday that i have been replaced. I am an RN with an excellent work record and have been in this job for 11 years. Part time, mostly responsible for keeping records at our supportive living facility. I make only $20/hr, have never had a raise with this facility ( nor have the other employees). I am 75 years old and was told i am being replaced by another RN. What can I do? I need that job!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry....Quincy, Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wait...I did talk to the office of the attorney general here in Quincy, but he said I should contact DOL.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

If you suspect that you may have been fired for age-related reason, you would have a case with the EEOC. In Illinois, you'd be filing a case through the Illinois Department of Human Rights. Instructions for doing so are found here. You could also file a complaint directly through the EEOC, but because it is a national organization it would likely take less time for your claim to be processed if you go through the state agency.

Once you file through the IDHR, you'll get what's called a "right to sue" letter, which would let you proceed with a case. What you could also do, is reach out to a pro bono employment attorney in your area, and ask them to send a demand letter to your employer. Here's a list of Illinois pro bono attorneys

who can assist for no cost. You could have them draft a demand letter to your former employer stating that you believe you were filed for age-related reasons, and that if you are not given your job back within a certain amount of time, you will be proceeding with an employment discrimination case. Oftentimes, the threat of litigation is enough to entice your employer into doing what's right.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.

lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer