Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I used to work for ruiz foods in CA as a sanitation manager…

Customer Question
I used to work...

I used to work for ruiz foods in CA as a sanitation manager and just after I started the day shift manager created a hostile environment telling lies to my boss about me to get me in trouble, he kept the harassment so I report it to HR within my first 3 months but they did nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

HR just told me that he was just like that and never did anything, later on the same year the VP was accusing me of poor job performance based on the day shift comments when I showed HR tons of training records/projects and changes that I made

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had to leave the company due to issues with my health and i paid i lot of money to moved out of the state having a big credit card debt

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: California Lawyer, Labor Attorney replied 7 months ago
California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Labor Attorney

I will try and help. What exactly is your legal question?

DCG

After I had to leave CA I had to spend a lot of money looking for a job and living on hotels, can I sue the company for harrasment?

The short answer is probably not, but it would depend a lot on why you left. First of all, a hostile work environment does not exist just because people don't get along. It has a very specific legal meaning which usually has to do with racial, sexual or some other form of prohibited discrimination. The fact that there was a dispute as to the quality of your work and the company resolved that in favor of the manager and not you does not necessarily create a legal cause of action for you. If you are convinced that you can show improper conduct by your employer you might contact the California labor board. Information on them is here: http://www.labor.ca.gov/contactindex.htm

I hope this helps.

DCG