Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an employee who was asked to take down confidential…

Customer Question
I have an employee...

I have an employee who was asked to take down confidential information that she took from our company and pout on her site. three days later she had not done so. this belongs to a client so it was important and she said she forgot. She is on vacation but I need to fire her. Can I send her her last check and a letter stating she is fired

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No lawyer just CEO and management

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all, I just need to know if California can I do that

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

thank you

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

The answer to your question is yes. If the employee is an at will employee, then they can be terminated at any reason and for no reason at all, even in the state of California. The only exception would be if she has an employment agreement that requires that she be terminated for some specific cause. Otherwise, she can be terminated immediately either in person, over the phone, through text, or through a letter.