Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My husband worked for the State and he died in 2011. I was…

Customer Question
My husband worked for...

My husband worked for the State and he died in 2011. I was under the impression that I would receive his pension but it went to his son. I didn't sign anything waiving it. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

When he died and I called they wouldn't release any information to me because I wasn't on anything. I didn't know what I could do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I thought that my name was on it because that's what he told me and I did do paperwork. He died from AIDS and infected me before he died. I need the money.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The pension should pass to the named beneficiary which is normally the surviving spouse, and even if not so, cannot be changed unless waived by the spouse. You or a lawyer for you can send a letter demanding an accounting and payment. The next step would be to file an action in state supreme court which should lead to settlement.

How do i do that? Where do I go? I live in Brooklyn, NY. I don't have any clue as to what to do next. Please direct me.
I am strapped for cash and barely making it. I can't afford much as I live from check to check. I splurged by contact Infolawyer.
Is that my answer?

You have a local lawyer send a letter. martindale.com or avvo.com are good options.

You provide a copy of the death certificate and proof you were the surviving spouse, and demand payment and accounting under the pension plan.

You can also avoid the lawyer fee and send the letter yourself with a 10 day deadline for them to comply.

When contacting the Supreme Court House which branch of department do I contact?
I just tried to look up my Supreme Court and I don't know which branch or whom i should direct my issue toward.
Is my session over?

supreme court, county where reside

If manhattan, it is*****

Practically, I would have an employment lawyer locally contact the company HR and negotiate for you.

I am sorry for the delay, my internet connection was briefly offline.

Let me know if I can add or clarify anything else, or if the reply is now clear and acceptable, thank you.

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer