Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can yoy assist in labor law, union environment? Union,

Hi, can yoy assist...

Hi, can yoy assist in labor law, union environment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Union, hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm the Lead Shop Steward and looking for some help. Thanks

12/22/2017
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Thanks for signing up for justanswer. Please submit your question and I will try to assist.

Are last chance agreements legal where a person is banned from bidding on a job for the duration of their employment?

I'm not sure I follow. Can you provide some more information?

Sure, a union employee was told to sign the LCA, stating that he NOT bid on another job as an apprentice or operator. Is that legal?

That would probably be viewed almost like a noncompete and so it has to meet certain legal requirements to be enforceable.

What are the requirements?
They have to give you something of value like a bonus. It has to be reasonable in scope and duration.
Do you have knowledge or experience wor king with Unions?

I have basic working knowledge from law school.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time, we're done.

Sure. If you have any further questions let me know. Otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was not pleased with service, your direction of conversation regarding noncompete clauses were not apllicabe to the scope of my question. But in fairness, you lack experience dealing with unions and LCA's...last chance agreements. Thank you.
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer