Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer flat out will not give raises! I’ve been here 4…

Customer Question
Hi! My employer flat out...
Hi! My employer flat out will not give raises! I’ve been here 4 years and have saved money and such! My boss is 71 and is terrified of this boss. This company manages our 100 unit section 42/8 property so government pays most of the rent plus people pay utilities! They supply no budgets and act as we’re broke yet I know they clear about $38000/ month after all bills..... help
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There unfortunately isn't any state or federal law that promises raises to employees. The only right to a raise, including cost of living increases, would be if you had a contract, union agreement, or employee handbook that required them. Then the employer would be in breach of their contract. Otherwise, how much to pay employees and when/whether to increase it is up to the employer and the employee to negotiate. You have a right to ask for a raise at any time. If they refuse, then your options are to decide whether you'd prefer to keep working for your existing pay or seek other employment. That's the nature of at-will employment. They can't force you to work for lower wages than what you deserve. If they won't pay a fair amount, you're allowed to leave.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer