Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a public school district for 19 years. 10 of

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a public school district for 19 years. 10 of those years were in a librarian position. I recently applied for an opening in my building, the position was given to a person with no experience. Ihave the experience and college hours in my favor, she has neither. Also I 'm 68 years old and in excellent health.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. My admin is ignoring me after informing that they gave the job to the other lady. Out of 15 applicants, 5 were interviewed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes, NEA. What is an "at will" employee??

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When the position was first posted, I immediately told my principal that I was interested in the position. He told me several times he felt I was a good candidate and that he already had someone else in mind to fill my position. Out of the 5 candidates that were interviewed it was my understanding that one person had a masters but no experience. No reason was given to me why I did not get the job other than had decided on the other girl who also works in my building.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You can file EEOC complaint here claiming age discrimination.

File here

https://www.forrent.com/find/FL/metro-Tampa+Bay/Tampa/extras-Utilities+Included

If EEOC finds in your favor they issue right to sue letter and you can sue the employer.Also employer likely will settle with you if they issue such a letter.

Age discrimination involves treating an applicant or employee less favorably because of his or her age.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states have laws that protect younger workers from agediscrimination. It is not illegal for an employer or other covered entity to favor an older worker over a younger one, even if both workers are age 40 or older.

Discrimination can occur when the victim and the person who inflicted the discrimination are both over 40.

Age Discrimination & Work Situations

The law prohibits discrimination in any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

I hope you will file and pursue this matter.Sorry they did it to you.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Employment lawyer to sue for discrimination

https://www.avvo.com/employment-labor-lawyer.html

Thanks again and Happy Holidays.Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

Ray, Employment lawyer