Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an independent contractor and I have a contracted route…

Customer Question
I am an independent...

I am an independent contractor and I have a contracted route that I run. my contract was just canceled because the contract holder wants a husband and wife team to run the route. They say the husband and wife team will beable to run the route a lot faster. I have had this route for over a year and have never had any complaints. I this a form of discrimination because I am not married or have a partner

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company I work for classifies us as independent contractors but that is very questionable

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your employment and contractual law question today.

I'm attorney Bill offering assistance and support to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that your contract was unexpectedly cancelled. The courts do enforce the conditions of these employment agreements as signed by both parties entering a business relationship.

Your rights against cancellation will come down to an interpretation of your contract.

If the principal contractor breached his obligations under your agreement by terminating you without cause you will bee able to sue for breach of contract in the civil court.

You also mentioned that you were basically an employee in reality.

A court can look behind a contract even it says independent contractor and infer an employer/ employee relationship.

In that case if the termination was due to illegal discrimination you could file an EEOC case or if there were assurances given to you by the employer, verbal or other, that you had certain rights and wouldn't be laid off, you could sue for a breach of implied contract.

In determining whether an implied employer-employee contract exits you would need to write down the narrative of events from the time of you taking up the employment.

If you have a copy of the contract you signed it is possible for me to review this as an additional service, just let me know.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill