Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I live in Oregon. I had a hip replacement surgery on Oct 3rd…

Customer Question
I live in Oregon...

I live in Oregon. I had a hip replacement surgery on Oct 3rd and missed work while recovering. I returned to work part time 3 weeks after the surgery. I returned to work full time 60 days after surgery. My Christmas bonus was $50 less than a co-worker who makes less money than I do. I think I am being punished for having surgery. Is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, I just found out about it. I will meet with the manager tomorrow. We don't have an HR department.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My co-worker is a 26 year old female and I am a 56 year old female. The owners/managers are both close to her age.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If attendance had at least some effect on overall performance or output, an employer generally will not violate the law by paying a lesser bonus to an employee who has missed work because of illness or a disability. Given that there is only a $50 difference in the amount of the bonuses in question here, a lawsuit would simply not be worth the tremendous amount of time and money, not to mention damage caused to your employment relationship, to make it worthwhile to pursue even if there was some basis for a claim.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Tina, Lawyer