Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am an exempt employee my employer that my next page check…

Customer Question
I am an exempt...

I am an exempt employee my employer that my next page check will be short 32 hours since they claim I went over the allowed amount. Is this allowed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I'm salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They gave me no notice and when I asked for backup documentation to the dates she said she only had a couple

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: What your employer has stated is not permissible under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The FLSA provides that an exempt employee is paid a full-day's rate even if they work only 1 hour in that day. The number of hours an exempt employee works in a day is irrelevant for the salary they receive (as long as you work at least 1 hour).

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi