Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can a non-profit fire an Executive Director who does not…

Customer Question
Can a non-profit fire...

Can a non-profit fire an Executive Director who does not have a contractual employment agreement in place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part-time, though I certainly put in many extra hours over the past 3 years with no additional compensation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have plenty of documented 'high praise' from national and local board members. This is 1 individual that is trying to fire me with 1 week left in his term.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

While it is certainly not recommended, an ED of a non profit can be at-will. It is not a preferred arrangement, but it is not illegal, either.

If the ED is at-will then they serve at the pleasure of the board and may be terminated at any time, without notice, and with or without cause.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer