Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was placed on a 5-day suspension without pay for alleged…

Customer Question
I was placed on...

I was placed on a 5-day suspension without pay for alleged continued unacceptable conduct, insubordinate behavior and repeated disregard for supervisor's authority. I have never refused to perform any task asked of me. However, sometime I do question the rationale of it. I had never been warned before, verbally nor in writing. This was my first time hearing of such allegations. I know that MS is an at-will state. Was it lawfully for my employer to suspend me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MS lawyer about this?

No, I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I filed a compliant via EthicsPoint and the decision to suspend was upheld by HR.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been employed with my employer for 8+ years and I have never been reprimanded. My immediate supervisor has only been here about 2 years. I have all correspondence that I submitted via EthicsPoint.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, the answer to your question is yes, it is generally legal for your employer to suspend you, even if it is for no reason. Employers cannot suspend employees on the basis of their race, gender, sexual orientation, or disability; however, if they are suspending for performance related issues, then they are allowed to do so. I'm very sorry and I wish I had a different answer for you. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer