Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am executive in a company and am a gay male. My company…

Customer Question
I am executive in a...
I am executive in a company and am a gay male. My company has given part of the team I was supposed to take over to a coworker and another svp. They have decided to make me turn my plan over to her and that team. She is being named to executive committee and I have had three executive members tell me that it is because our ceo wants a ceo on his executive committee and reporting to him. Looks bad if he doesn’t have a women as others have left, I am told. Am I being discriminated against as I am not a women?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

From what you've said, it does sound as though the other employee may have been chosen at least partially because she is a woman. However, this is unfortunately not illegal discrimination. The law doesn't allow an employer to choose someone who is in a majority group over someone in a marginalized group. In corporate America, men traditionally have power over women. The power imbalance is such that employers are allowed to give preference to a woman. That's unfortunately not actionable.

If you had any reason to believe you didn't get the position because you're gay, that would be illegal discrimination.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer