Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a company I detest. I have been actively seeking…

Customer Question
I work for a company...
I work for a company I detest. I have been actively seeking a new job and was offered one by one of my current clients. My company is now claiming breach of contract in that they are not allowed to solicit our employees and requiring I work through January 31. My new role is a promo to Mgmt with a $30k pay raise they are not matching. I already have non refundable travel in place and my last day was to be this Friday. What can I do about this. It is ridiculous since this woman wanted to fire our entire Dept 2 months ago for going to a superior with a huge problem.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
The non-compete clause which is supposedly in their contract simply states they won't seek our employees and Vic's versa. But they will 'waive' the clause if I agree to stay on until Jan 31.
12/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Non Non competes are rarely enforced. they need to be very limited in time and space. unless a few miles and months will typically fail. Most employers wont even pursue it and clients are free to choose for themselves!With that in mind company won’t do anything if you leave early beyond sending you a nasty Letter.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I had a threatening meeting today and our HR is involved and they contacted my new employer to come to this agreement that I would stay on until Jan 31. But it is at great personal cost to myself. So you are saying that they are bluffing and I should just move forward?
They cannot keep you and won’t spend tens of thousands in legal fees to attempt it.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
I think this may be an auto correct thing can you clarify this:They need to be very limited in time and space. unless a few miles and months will typically fail.