Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I accepted a new job with a non compete clause, i have not…

Customer Question
I accepted a new...

I accepted a new job with a non compete clause, i have not been put on the payroll yet because i have to take a pre employment drug screen, which I have not taken yet. can I go back to my old job without the new company enforcing the non compete

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Im in Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time job, I asked the new employer if There was any negotiating on the no compete, which his answer was no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You never know what the other side will claim, but typically when you have not received any benefits from the contract (i.e. employment with this new company), the contract cannot be enforced against you. Furthermore, Oklahoma only permits non-competes which are reasonanable and protect a legitimate business interest. Stopping someone who has NEVER worked for their company from competing is not reasonable nor does it protect a legitimate interest, so on this basis as well you would have grounds to fight enforcement of the non-compete. On top of all this, many employers never go on to figure out that you have started working for a competitor. And finally, even if they do find out, most employers will realize it is not worth their time and money to sue you if they haven't suffered serious damages as a result of your competing.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer