Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for CVS as a Pharmacy employee. The Pharmacist

Customer Question
I work for CVS...

I work for CVS as a Pharmacy employee. The Pharmacist (Pharmacy Manager) is constantly harassing me, demanding I answer the phone every time it rings (although it is CVS policy for a certain station to answer calls), then when I do, he yells at me for taking care of the customer on the phone, demanding I put them on hold for 45 minutes at a time to go back to my original station and wait on pick up customers. Then I have to return to the customer I put on hold for 45 minutes and listen to them curse me for making them wait. No one else is required to answer the phones from any workstation they're at except me. It's been this way ever since I got a mention on the CVS website ("The girl with the purple hair is so nice, she really cares"). The Pharmacist engages in conversations with my other coworkers, talking about how stupid I am as if I'm not even there. I suffer from and have been under the care of a physician for 4 years for severe anxiety and panic attacks. He knows this. I'm not allowed to speak my opinion on his rudeness to me, or he will have me fired, but every single day he's there, he constantly berates me in front of customers as well as coworkers. It doesn't matter where I'm working, he'll come find me and insult me or embarrass me. My corporate trainer tries to tell me he's harsh with me because he wants to teach me right, but nothing he does has anything to do with work. Corporate classes teach me one thing, then I go to the location, and NOTHING about customer service is the same. It's all about being as rude as possible, he even screams and yells at the customers calling them liars. I don't think corporate cares much, because several customers have complained, as well as another employee, and nothing is ever done. I don't think CVS has an Omsbudsman, I've tried looking, but can't find one if they have it. I'm going to have to transfer to another store if it doesn't change because he's damaging my health and wellbeing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full-time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, other than I have a target painted on my back, so I have to do something to change it, or leave the company.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Apart from leaving the company entirely, your ONLY other option here would be to request for a transfer to another store. You need to do that immediately for your mental health. You cannot continue to work in that hostile environment.

You may also have discrimination complaint if you can prove that you are being treated differently because of your gender, race, age (40 and over) disability, national origin or the like. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

he is a black male from Nigeria who is very focused on age--it's one of the first things I was asked by him after being hired by corporate. I am the oldest female in the pharmacy. I'm also white, although his other frequent target is a black female.

Thank you for the information.

You can file EEOC complaint if you have evidence that he is picking on you because of your age.

Best wishes,

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law