Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was the Executive Director of a State Trade Association in…

Customer Question
I was the Executive...

I was the Executive Director of a State Trade Association in Indiana. I resigned October 1. My decision to resign was mainly due to inappropriate board member conduct and the board subsequently asked for and received the resignation from a board member. When i provided my required 60 day notice, i told them i would assist with scheduling and simple management services during any transition period to a new Director, provided the relationship remained amicable. It did not, so i sent them a proposal and long story short we finally reached an agreement to assist Dec 1 thru April 30. My current Employer is a member of this association: however, decided not to renew in 2018. The association President and Vice President met with our GM on Monday and tried to tell them that my requesting money from them was an attempt to extort money in exchange for us re-joining. I dont make the decission to be a member or not and i had permission from my employer to assist. I simply wouldnt do it for free. I feel they were trying to get me fired or at least disciplined, neither of which happened. I have a signed contract with them that they signed, i terminated it today. I refuse to assist them any longer, in fact when i resigned i took a 60K cut in pay. My question is are there grounds for any type of civil action

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I understand your frustration and warranted anger at this situation. In order to bring an action against the Trade Association you would need to be able to prove that you were constructively discharged for an improper reason (for example discrimination).

Based on your description that does not seem to have happened. Rather you reached an agreement to step down and it was in some small way agreeable for you to continue to assist them.

Their conduct with your employer is reprehensible - if you can prove they were trying to get you fired. BUT the law requires that you suffer some sort of damages directly related to the defamation. Since your employer did not fall for their shenanigans you suffered no loss directly attributable to the remarks made.

So, as frustrated as you are, I am sincerely ***** ***** add to it. Based on your description of events I do not see a viable cause of action.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald