Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have worked for the State and the a Department of Social…

Customer Question
I have worked for...

I have worked for the State and the a Department of Social Services for 18 years. I worked as a Financial Services Coordinator with Suffolk DSS for 10 years @ $59,244. In October 2017, I had a better job opportunity with Sussex County DSS as a Human Services Program Manager. According to the Director my performance was great and there had not been any counseling of any type . The Director has created an extremely hostile work environment towards staff with yelling and screaming constantly at employees. On 12/08/17, one of my Supervisors came to me crying and handed me her resignation . She said "he was crazy and she could no longer work under him". I asked her to pull the resignation back to give me a chance to talk to him. When I went to have this discussion he began to scream at me and yelling we could both leave and file an EEOC. This was his management style and anyone that does not like it could leave He then screams telling me to get out of his office. Later we wanted to meet with me and the HR representative. He began to tell his story afterwards I began to tell my story. He cut me off and told me the HR representative works for him and not me. He began screaming tell me to pack my things and leave I was terminated. I requested a termination notice and reason. He said the HR rep would give me one. On 12/11/17, I requested the same via email. I received the letter stating I was terminated and he did not have to give a reason because I was on a 12 month probation. I filed an EEOC complaint for wrongful termination, retaliation, and hostile work environment. My question is do I have any rights? I know I don't have grievance rights under probation but I don't believe the employer hS the right to scream and yell at employees and terminate me when confronted with the issue. I have 2 children in college. I have no money and need an attorney that can work to receive a payment upon winning a case. Please help me. My email address is***@******.***. I reside in Suffolk Va.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You said he created "an extremely hostile work environment," is that because he is doing this to you based only because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

Sex

Thank you for your reply.

So, if you have the evidence that he has treated you this way only because of your sex and have already reported to the EEOC, you need to wait on the EEOC to send you their right to sue letter

I just saw that you are looking for an attorney to represent you, did you understand our site terms which explain we are prevented by state laws from representing customers of this site? We can provide you information, but not representation, sorry if that was some misunderstanding about what our service provides.

Tina, Lawyer