Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Does the muslim religion require a beard..if so our company…

Customer Question
Does the muslim religion...

Does the muslim religion require a beard..if so our company only allows a very short beard.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

We are a small company with no hr

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

We are just beginning to interview..have not hired but am preparing to interview an arabic man who may have a long beard..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When I interview him and if he has a long beard can I tell him our company only allows very short beards?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Beards are not a requirement under the Muslim faith, no. Muslims learn about the Prophet's views on facial hair not from the Koran, but through hadith - or sayings - attributed to Muhammad.One such hadith, in a collection by Muslim scholar Muhammad al-Bukhari centuries ago, stipulates: "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard." The Prophet Muhammad is believed to have had a beard and there are those who grow bears because they believe they are following the teachings and followings of Muhammad.

While it is not required therefore under the Muslim faith, it is common for many males who are Muslim to keep a beard long. I would not recommend telling this applicant that they must shave their beard short as a job requirement, because you can expose the employer to a discrimination lawsuit. EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) regulations say that, unless it would be an “undue hardship,” employers must reasonably accommodate their employees’ religious beliefs and practices. The EEOC says that can include “wearing certain hairstyles or facial hair (such as Rastafarian dreadlocks or Sikh uncut hair and beard).”

Just checking in to see if there is anything I could clarify or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please reply, I'm certainly happy to help! Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, as this is the ONLY way experts like myself are credited by this website. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer