Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I receive SSDI and I was offered a contracted 8 month part…

Customer Question
I receive SSDI and...

I receive SSDI and I was offered a contracted 8 month part time paid position. Since SSDI states that there is a trial period of 9 months for work am i legally obligated to report this to them

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State I do not want to take the contract position if it will comporomise my SSDI because the temporary position is to help me with certain skills that I have trouble with as a result of my chronic illness

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was offered to me at school , part -time, non-union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just want to know if If obligated to inform SSDI of this work, because it will inform my descion to take the contracted position

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you are obligated to report this work to Social Security Administration.

Also, bear in mind that you have to make certain amount a month in order for the work to affect your benefit. This amount is called Substantial Gainful Activity Amount. For 2018, the amount is $1,180.00 for non blind beneficiaries and $,1970.00 for blind beneficiaries. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

i dont receive SSA so who would i report to, and if this is a college assistantship i am unsure how you are discerning the difference between employmet and funding from my educational insitution