Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Tina, I have been on my job for 30yrs, 3/15 /2018.the

Customer Question
Hi Tina, I have...

Hi Tina, I have been on my job for 30yrs, 3/15 /2018.the company has been through many. Now it is a family owned. I want to know is there any kind of funds I can get. I am going to retire from there when my 30yrs. Is up. But, the job has no retirement plan

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Atlanta Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was full time I went part time about 5yrs ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, thank you, ***** ***** have a degree in criminal justice that is my next step.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Congratulations on your nearly 30 years on the job. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having. Unfortunately, very few private companies provide any type of retire plan, so it is up to the individual employees to do what is best for their future, although depending on a person's economic circumstances, saving for retirement isn't always possible. Regrettably, the only thing the government is going to offer would be social security (when you are eligible to apply) and very low income persons may qualify for programs such as SNAP (food stamps). There may be local organizations/agencies that can also help lower income persons with things like help in paying rent or their utilities, for example (applicants typically must apply and show proof of income/assets).

If you give me a better idea on what specifically the type of government programs you are interested in, I could tell you whether there are any such programs available.

Just checking in to see if there is anything I could clarify or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please reply, I'm certainly happy to help! Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, as this is the ONLY way experts like myself are credited by this website. Thank you.