Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work in a hospitals in New Jersey. I work 7on and 7off now…

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** work...
Hello my name is***** work in a hospitals in New Jersey. I work 7on and 7off now I'm having an issue with my employe due to religion conflict with work schedule what's my rights?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You are entitled to "reasonable accommodations" for your sincerely ***** ***** beliefs. This means that if your employer can modify your schedule so as to allow you to attend religious ceremonies or events, they must do so. However, what's important to understand is that not all accommodations are reasonable. An accommodation is only "reasonable" within the meaning of the law if it does not impose undue hardship on your empoyer, defines as "significant difficulty or expense." If your employer would incur undue hardship by modifying your schedule, then they are not required to do so as a religious accommodation under the law.

What you would typically want to do in these situations is explain to your employer in writing that you require a particular schedule modification as a religious accommodation, which you are entitled to under state and federal civil rights law. You would then want to explain why the modification is reasonable and does not impose undue hardship on your employer's business.

If your employer refuses or, worse, retaliates, you can file a complaint with the EEOC for religious discrimination and retaliation.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer