Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a few question about my rights regarding Religion At…

Customer Question
I have a few...

I have a few question about my rights regarding Religion At work place

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What is your question?

Hello I work in New Jersey in a hospital recently I've been having an issue with my employer I want Wednesday and sundays off and I'm willing to work other day
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

You mentioned religion in the workplace. How is that relevant?

I want days off so I can go to church and Wednesday I have a bible study late that starts at 6:30pm
Are you there?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, typing a response now.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Answer: Your employer is legally required to accommodate your religious worship requirements. While that makes it clear that your employer is legally required to permit you not to work on Sundays, it is less clear for the Wednesday. Since the Wednesday request is not for a religious observance that must occur on Wednesdays, it is not as black and white whether your employer must give you the day off. It is best to work with your employer regarding the Wednesdays and specifically request the Sundays off.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Ok but I made an agreement to work 7on and 7 off when I first offered the job (roughly 3years ago) is that gonna affect me?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

I am not sure what you mean. Can you please clarify?

Do they have the right to say I already agreed to work? Even thought things has changed for me
Meaning in my personal life
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

No, they do not. You have the right to alter your religious beliefs and your employer does not have the right to question those beliefs.

Ok what about Wednesday I'm always working evenings if I were to suggest to make an agreement with someone who works during the day and tell them why is that something I can ask or is there any law
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

The Wednesday they do not have an obligation to accommodate, because you could do Bible study any day of the week (even if the class on Wednesday is your preferred class). However, if you can find someone to work Wednesday nights and switch with them, your employer would be in violation of the law if they prevented you from doing so, without a business reason for the refusal.

Ok thank you! One last clarification before I close the chat When I first got this job I agreed to work every other weekend does that matter would they pull out paper works and shut me off
I was hired 3 years ago it's not like I agreed 3 weeks ago and now I'm saying I can't
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

No, because you are legally allowed to change your religious beliefs.

Cool thank you so much for your help.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

You are very welcome.

Please do not forget to rate my services (hopefully 5-stars).

If they allow me I won't have 40 hours is that something I can ask or offer to work some other day so I'm not losing my hours?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, you may.

I still have a few more questions
Are you there please
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, please ask.

Ok would you be able to provide me a link to print my legal right regarding the issue we talked about so that I can submit along with my personal note that I will be righting about please
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

I would recommend just discussing it with the Human Resources department in person. Also, avoid stating the legal rights and instead just let them know it is for religious reasons. You do not want the conversation to come off as forcing it down their throat, but instead as an accommodation.

Ok would you be able to provide me a link to print my legal right regarding the issue we talked about so that I can submit along with my personal note that I will be writing about please
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Here you go: https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/fs-religion.cfm

Hello
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi. Did you see the link I sent above?

Can't really gotten what I'm looking for here
My questions hasn't been answer are you still there?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, I am here. Did you see the link I provided?

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi