Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm looking for an expert in both "employment law" and

I'm looking for an expert...
I'm looking for an expert in both "employment law" and "criminal law," for I'm not sure whether my question falls under the "employment law" category or the "criminal law" category or both. On Sunday, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Seattle Seahawks played a professional football game. A fight transpired in the middle of the game where several players from one team fought against players from the other team. The officials stopped the fight and ejected one of the players from the Seattle Seahawks. As the ejected football player was leaving the stadium, an attendee threw beer at him. Therefore, the ejected football player tried to jump on the bleachers and hit the attendee back. Security stopped him from doing so, and the ejected player was made to publicly apologize for trying to fight back. My questions are these: In this situation, doesn't the football player have the right to defend himself seeing that throwing beer at someone is considered assault? Or are there some occupations that forbid an owner, supervisor, or other employee from defending himself should a client, customer, or whatever assault him? I don't know if you saw and/or heard about this NFL football game on Sunday or not. Thank you.
12/14/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Under the law there is a right to engage in self defense. However, this right would not apply when someone in the bleachers throws a bear at you, because there is no risk of continued physical danger and thus no possible need to engage in "defense."

Furthermore, just because something is not illegal does not mean that an employer cannot still prohibit an employee from doing it. It's not illegal to yell curse words, but an employer can absolutely terminate an employee for that. There are countless "legal" things an employee can do which can result in lawful disciplinary action taken against them by their employer. In the context of the NFL, these players have collective bargaining agreements which specifically allow the league to take action and fine the players for inappropriate or violent conduct, which as this incident you are describing with the fan.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Patrick, Esq.