Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We are a restaurant in NYC. In the past we have provided…

Customer Question
We are a restaurant...

We are a restaurant in NYC. In the past we have provided tee-shirts to our staff, we want to stop doing that and have the staff purchase their shirts from a particular store that we will work with. How much notice do we have to give staff to comply with this chain and is it against DOL rules to have employees but their shirts from a particular vendor?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NYS

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At-will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

So these t-shirts - are they uniforms? Or are they just a type of color t-shirt or type of t-shirt? Please be specific.

The Staff is currently wearing tee-shirts, we want to do away with the tee-shirts and require them to purchase Denim Chambray shirts from J. Crew
i rather text, this is becoming costly

Thank you. So it is in essence qualifies as a uniform. If one's employees make the minimum wage and are required to wear a uniform, then employer must cover the cost of purchasing the uniform. Otherwise, they can be asked to pay for it themselves provided it is a reasonable fee. For more, see HERE.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.