Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was the marketing manager for 1 year for a limousine

Customer Question
I was the marketing...

I was the marketing manager for 1 year for a limousine company. I was let go because the company could not afford my salary. I decided to start my own company and set up a website and registered a new company name. I sent emails to the clients of the previous company offering my services with my new company. But the email was badly worded and it sounded like the old company was starting as a new company with a new name. Some of the clients contacted the old company as they were confused. The owner of the old company wants me to take down my website, cancel the new company name. He thinks I have acted fraudulently in contacting his clients and mis-representing my new company. Is he correct

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He has seen a lawyer i believe for advice. But I am unaware of anything being filed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. Fraud though requires intent to defraud. In your case, if you just had a badly worded email, then it is likely that the other party would not be able to prove that you had the intent to defraud the customers into signing with you. You may want to consider just re-wording the email and put your branding all over the place to ensure that people know they're dealing with a new company.

What other questions did you have for me?

Thats fine thanks

Excellent. Did you happen to see my response to your question?

I now have another question. My former employer wants me to close my website down (www.empirelimoct.com ) and un-register my LLC (empire limousine LLC) I have established a business bank account and various other entities in the name of Empire Limousine CT. Is it possible for me to retain the LLC and simply Trade Doing Business As a different name.

You're not required to do anything unless a court orders you to do so. If he wants that to happen, then he's going to have to sue you and have a court enter an order in his favor.

OK but is it legally possible to have an a registered company "Empire Limousine LLC" but to Do Business As a completely different name for example "Lion Limousine Services"

Yes, it is possible. Your state allows for this.

Ok so although my bank account which is set up as Empire Limousine, I can trade under a different name as long as it says Doing Business As. Is that correct

You bet. It's a great way for companies to do business under more than one name. Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.