Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Employment Law: Mandatory training. If required or mandatory…

Employment Law: Mandatory training. If...
Employment Law: Mandatory training. If required or mandatory to complete. I am an hourly employee and management expectst that we complete while working our shift or is this something that should be paid separate from work.
12/13/2017
Loren, Lawyer

The only thing that is required is that you be paid for all time you spend at work or in mandatory training.

If you are hourly and not exempt, that would require overtime if you go over 40 hours.

Otherwise, it is not illegal to require training completion during the shift.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer