Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My brother was on short term disability and was cleared to…

My brother was on short...
My brother was on short term disability and was cleared to go back to work..The day he returned to work they tell him he's laid off! Apparently they hired someone to take his place while he was gone!He was shocked and disappointed,as they never said that this would happen! What does he do now?
12/13/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

How long total was he off work? Also, how many employees does his employer have? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

He was off only 4 months. It's a small exterminator company with about 10 employees. He got hurt at work falling off a ladder.
Any more questions?

No, no more questions.

With less than 50 employees, the only law that would typically protect your brother's position is CA's Fair Employment & Housing Act. This law requires employers to "reasonably accommodate" any disabled employee by holding their position as long as this can be done without causing the employer to suffer undue hardship. "Undue hardship" is a rather vague term, and a duration of leave that may cause hardship for one employer m ay not cause hardship for the other. It really depends on the unique circumstances of the employment.

If your brother can allege that his employer could have continued holding his position without incurring undue hardship, he can bring a claim for violation of his rights under FEHA. The first step in pursuing such a claim would be to file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment & Housing. The DFEH will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your brother's employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on his behalf or issue him a "right to sue" letter, which will enable him to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.
Thanks. ..I'll let my brother know about the results
Fortunately he got called on to work! Thank you for your( one time service)answer to our problem!

I'm very glad to hear about this positive development. Best wishes to you both, and happy holidays.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer