Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked as an Engineer for a company for more 20 years. I…

Customer Question
I worked as an...

I worked as an Engineer for a company for more 20 years. I contacted them few months ago asking for an employment verification along with my job responsibilities. I emailed to HR and was answered that the company 's policy can only verified my time with the company and my last position held. So I requested the company to send me that but they never sent me anything and no matter I asked them they never did. I could not sleep for many months feeling being discriminated by the company and the way I had been treated for many years. Not sure how I can get help with this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennesse now. Used to be in CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was a full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else right now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I can certainly appreciate your frustration. However, I must tell you that employers have no legal obligation to respond to reference requests, and thus, you cannot sue an employer who refuses to provide employment verification. Any prospective employer can call and get your employment verification directly. It can also be verified through your previous tax filings and old pay stubs. Finally you could locate someone you worked with and use them as your reference, or have them provide a letter attesting to your employment. I realize these aren't perfect solutions, but again, since employers have absolutely no obligation to respond to reference requests or confirm dates of employment, you cannot sue them for failing to do so.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further....

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Are you receiving my responses to you? I am online...