Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My company me off after purchasing a competitor company then…

Customer Question
My company laid me...

My company laid me off after purchasing a competitor company then is advertising to fill my job. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I lve in MO the company is based in MN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time I was there a year with positive reviews

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It is legal because it isn't illegal. I know that sounds circular, but really the purpose is to turn the question to its correct face. In an "at will" employment situation, the default position is that the employer can terminate with or without cause. There doesn't need to be a legally justifiable reason. So, we have to legally begin with the premise that the termination is legal and that it would take something specific to make it illegal.

Just because the competitor has your job advertised, that doesn't really change the calculus here. Just because you had positive reviews, that doesn't make the matter legally different.

Unless you can allege an actual illegal basis for your termination, such as discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability, FMLA use, worker's comp use, wage and hour complaints, OSHA complaints, HIPAA complaints, etc., the default here is that the termination was legal.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.