Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was working until just before I delivered my daughter in…

Customer Question
I was working until...

I was working until just before I delivered my daughter in July 2016. 5 weeks after I gave birth I started having seizures and have had many since. I cannot work and cannot drive. What are my options for unemployement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York, Long Island, Suffolk county

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and it was full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

If you cannot work because of your medical condition, but cannot collect unemployment. A basic element of unemployment eligibility is that you be ready willing and able to work. If you're unable to work, then you will not be able to collect. You may want to check into qualifying for short or long-term disability policies you may have and or Social Security disability. You can use these programs as long as you're not able to work.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Very good response time

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

Good response

Thank you.