Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What is the maximum amount/percentage allowed to be deducted…

Hello, what is the maximum...
Hello, what is the maximum amount/percentage allowed to be deducted on an employee's check per pay period for a company payment plan? We have a current fraud case going on with formal investigation reports showing evidence of employees who have committed fraud against the company and need to draft a payment letter. This is for the state of CA. Thank you!
12/12/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Actually, the law does not specify a maximum amount for reimbursement agreements to employers for fraud or theft. Many employers insist on payment in full and tell employees if they refuse they will file criminal charges. However, if you are looking to be reasonable, then you can use the same guideline that courts use in garnishment cases which would be not more than 25% of their pay after deductions. There is no law that proscribes you give them any such deal though.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.