Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My question is this. I work with an attorney who is always…

Customer Question
My question is this...

My question is this. I work with an attorney who is always telling me when something goes wrong and I'm trying to figure out how the incident happen whether it is indeed my fault or if something was given to me that way, he always tells me "you never do anything wrong do you." And nothing is ever your fault, with a smirk on his face. and of course he always has me close the door to his office when he says it. I respond by saying that I will take personal responsibility for it if indeed it was my error. This happens all the time. Yesterday it was....you've been here long enough you should know this and how it works we've been doing this from day one and I don't understand why you don't seem to get it. I tried to explain that I was being through with the documents that needed to be submitted and of course the file materials were not received until Thursday and I didn't have a file number until Friday afternoon but snatched the paper out of my hand and said he would take care of it even though I had already prepared the letter to send it out. Also, I realize that he's having to take chemo and he told me to stand across the room because I have a sinus infection and he said it wasn't personal...I just laughed and said I was going to take that personal...hahaha... He the told me to go...get out of my office. You've hurt my feelings...Help!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah...he also accused me of not being to take constructive criticism which is difficult when someone is stating you should know this stuff I don't know why you don't get it and my response is I do get it...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I'm sorry that you are facing this situation. It seems like a difficult place to work. That being said, nothing that you have mentioned here is illegal in employment law. Unless you can allege that the only basis for your treatment is your race, religion, gender or age (over 40), this treatment does not violate any law in either state or federal law.

Regrettably, we would just call this situation a bad job and recommend that you seek employment elsewhere.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.