Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a licensed professional counselor in Dallas, TX. I have…

Customer Question
I am a licensed...

I am a licensed professional counselor in Dallas, TX. I have a new client who is on Social Security disability. He has, in the past, had a DSM diagnosis of drug abuse. He was told that if that diagnosis is revealed in counseling notes from a therapist to Social Security, his disability benefits will be terminated. He is very anxious about this. I told him I would check to see if that is indeed the case. He has already terminated counseling with one therapist, and he is very much in need of that service. Can you tell me whether it is true that his benefits would be cancelled if his past abuse is revealed in a therapist's notes sent in to Social Security?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in TX.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

He is unemployed, due to significant medical problems--diabetes, cardiac condition and major depressive disorder. He hasn't been able to work for at least 10 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The man is 61, and he lives on Social Security disability and has for several years. He lives in a Section 8 apt., and his only source of income is his SSI benefits. He feels that his many health problems are, at least in part, due to his past drug abuse. He was told by a "friend" that he will be terminated from SSI if this is reported. He lives in Dallas, TX. Could you tell me if this is indeed the case, or was someone just attempting to frighten him in order to get a reaction?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You know this is always a problem when untrained, non-professional friends try to express their opinions to people as this client's friend has done. NO, past history of drug abuse is not grounds to lose benefits and in fact the SSA says that as long as the person meets their definition of disabled and it is not simply from currently using drugs, they would be approved.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney