Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a Canada business ask for a kick back "money" on a job…

Customer Question
Can a Canada business...

Can a Canada business ask for a kick back "money" on a job that was done in the US? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The job was done in Road Inland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The job was labor only

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The company cannot ask for anything that was not provided for in the contract. If the payment was not specified in the contract, then legally they are not entitled to the money. If they are asking for "kick backs" which are unlawful in the construction industry, you need to inform the company that since the payment is not authorized under the contract, it would be considered an illegal kick back and you would be forced to report it to the authorities if they continue to make such a demand.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.