Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there a statue of limitations to file claim on life

Customer Question
Is there a statue...

Is there a statue of limitations to file claim on life insurance policy

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Michigan -the co. holding policy is in PA -the employer is in KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time employer -non union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I need to explain why I asked the question

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Has the insured passed away? How long ago?

.

Are you the beneficiary of the policy?

.

.

thanks

Decendent passed 1/06/15 -I was just told end of November that I am beneficiary on his work policy. I filed the paperwork and co. holding policy told me no and I can file appeal

Ok, then no, there is no time limit to file a claim for the funds with the insurer. It is possible that they may have turned the funds over to the state unclaimed property office if they are aware that the insured has passed. But you would need to check with the insurer first to see if they still have retained those proceeds...

.

If it has been turned over to the unclaimed property office, then you would have to file a claim with them to claim those funds..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Not sure - but thank you for asking.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much