Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I need a labor law attorney. No applicable. It is a

Customer Question
I need a labor...

I need a labor law attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No applicable

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is a contractual relationship and not an employment relationship

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Feel free to submit your question and I will try to assist
I thought that I already submitted the question but apparently not. I am a physician and occasionally do Locum Tenums in different medical settings. I work with different Locum Tenums companies that place me in different assignments. At one of my recent assignments, the Locums Company told me that the medical clinic they sent me to, asked for me not to come back because of some complaints they received. I asked the Locums company what the complaints were, however, the complaints were not disclosed despite my request. I also had three previously assigned shifts to complete at this clinic as per my contract with the locums company. The contract with my Locums company states that, I am supposed to be given thirty days notice if a contract assignment was going to be terminated. In this case, I had three contracted days cancelled at $1000 per day. So, I lost $3000 dollars because I had no time to get other shifts before these three shifts were cancelled. My questions are the following: Am I entitled to find out the nature of complaints that were lodged against me to the Locums Company I contract with? Alternatively, am I entitled to find out what the complaints are from the medical cilnic who lodged the complaints to my Locums Company? The reason I want to know about the complaints, and have an opportunity to respond to the complaints, is that I do not want a file laying around at a clinic from my past, with unfounded complaints in it, that may possibly show up at the Medical Board at a later date for an unrelated reason. Do I have a right to see the complaints and respond to them? If so, how do I find out what the complaints were and from whom? Can I sue either the Locums Company or the medical clinic for the $3000 that I lost when they cancelled my assignments? Finally, would this be a case for a labor law attorney, or a contracts attorney, since I am an independent contractor with the Locums Company who only places me at assignments if I choose to accept the them? Thanks so much! SR, M.D.
I do not see any answer from you, yet I have an e-mail that says you responded. Where is your response?

I would need to see your contract and the contract your company had with that clinic to accurately answer but I do believe you have a right to know the complaints especially since it lead to termination. You can certainly sue the company and the clinic for your loss in small claims court. Once you file suit you can actually submit discovery which is a series of questions you submit to the opposing side to collect evidence. You could get the info about the complaints you need.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer