Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm wondering what the labor laws are regarding lunch hour…

Hi, I'm wondering what...

Hi, I'm wondering what the labor laws are regarding lunch hour deductions. Our employees punch in and out and at times they forget to punch out for lunches that they are scheduled for and have taken. We would like to send an email asking them to confirm whether they have taken a lunch on these days and include the wording "if we do not see a response by x date, we will assume you have taken a lunch unless you notify us otherwise". Would this be lawful? We have employees in the states of CO, CA, and WA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Employment is at will, majority are full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all!

12/12/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Unfortunately, the laws of Colorado, California and Washington prohibit taking a deduction from an employee's wages without verification that there has been an over-payment. However, you can include disciplinary action as a ramification for failure to respond to the email, such as reduced hours, fewer days of work, or suspension.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.