Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband was fired Saturday after being called into work.

Customer Question
My husband was fired...

My husband was fired Saturday after being called into work. He work all day but was feeling ill and told his foreman he needed to leave and the foreman fired him. Is this a case for wrongful termination?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is full time at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You aren't going to like this, but unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in MS is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what the employer did was inequitable and unfair for firing him if he was ill, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin).

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much