Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As an independent contractor (residing in Nevada, the

Customer Question
company is based in Atlanta...
As an independent contractor (residing in Nevada, the company is based in Atlanta, GA, but the work was done in NYC, NY) can I bill the company that hired me for hours pushing into a 7 day work week? Do I bill at time and a half, or double time? Also, are they allowed to claim that my overtime rate is the same as my hourly rate?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

As an independent contractor, you are not an employee, you are only entitled to be paid what the contract says you are entitled to. Since you are not an employee the Fair Labor Standards Act does not apply to you and the employer does not have to pay time and a half for overtime or double time. It would be up to your contract to specify what you get paid for the time worked and if it says nothing but one rate, that is all you are entitled to be paid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney