Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In my parish we have mostly women serving as Ministers of…

Customer Question
In my parish we...

In my parish we have mostly women serving as Ministers of Holy Communion at all the Mass's. I am one of the oldest parishioners in the parish and I have seen how the women have taken over just about everything in the parish over the years. I am a Minister of Holy Communion, and have been for about 30 years now. We have about 42 women Ministers and now about 14 men. On December 8, Holy Day Mass, once again we had all women Ministers and young female altar servers. The Priest was the only man on the altar. I have made it known to all that do the scheduling that I am available on all Holy Days and Sunday, 10:30 a,m. Mass to serve. But, that falls on deaf ears.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NH

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had a conversation with one of the women that have just taken over what I was doing as Head Usher several months ago about the Dec. 8 Mass and she was so overloaded with her now areas of responsibility that she forgot to bring the gifts up to the gift table before Mass on Dec. 10. When our pastor talked to her about the problem she mentioned our conversation to him and then he sent an email to me stating that if I had a problem, that I was to talk to him about it. I tried this before on an issue concerning the blocking of the entrance and exit of our church with tables of items for sale. I am 77 years old next month and I caught my foot on the corner of a table when leaving the church and almost fell to the ground. I told the woman in charge to set up the tables in the parish hall where there is plenty of room, but she said that the people will not go down to the parish hall and laughed about it. This made me think about the money changes in the Temple that upset the Lord so much. When I emailed our pastor about it her took the side of the woman in charge. I am the most outspoken parishioner about these problems.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The question is, what is the Cannon Law regarding woman Ministers of Communion? Can they serve even if a man is available?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hi, I had a chance to review your question, but unfortunately I am not experienced in Cannon Law at all. I could certainly help you with state or federal law, but none specific to your faith. Did you have questions about whether this violated any state or federal law?

No!

Ok. Let me opt out. Another expert may be able to help:-)

No! I thought a Cannon Lawyer was going to answer my question. I would like my $5.00 back. Thank you.