Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a small business sue the federal government if one of…

Customer Question
Can a small business...

Can a small business sue the federal government if one of their employees forward false information to an outside entity which in turn has really hurt that business financially and mentally?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am a small commercial independent business

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

N

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Can you be more specific as to what false information was forwarded? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I am a small commercial veteran owned business who does business with the va hospital in the local area. I am an authorized vendor and one day I learned that an employee at the va hospital forwarded false/erroneous information about me an my company which in turn caused the manufacture that was supplies me the product to close my commercial and government account leaving me without a product source. this has harmed me and my business financially and mentally.

Thank you for your reply. However, what I need to know is what specific harmful information was forwarded and in what context?

It was reported to the manufacturer that I was in an unauthorized area (the OR) claiming/impersonating to be one of their sales representatives.
are you there

Thank you. *****'m still not getting enough context to provide an answer. WHY was this reported? Was there some formal investigation? What was the govt agency attempting to do? Was this a purely malicious act by a rogue employee? Or part of some ostensibly legitimate agency function?

there wasn't any investigation done, I heard it from my manufacturer when I called to order more products and was told that my accounts was closed and I could no longer do business with them base on the forwarded information from the va hospital. I can see that this was a malicious act due to the fact I have complained about them for their business practices concerning vendors.
I have never done what they have accused me of, I always represent myself as my own business in my business name. My name tag identifies me and my business name.
hello..............

I am here. I am assisting multiple customers so I appreciate your patience....

It may be possible to sue if you can prove that this was a purely malicious act and not related to any official or legitimate government function. You would also need to prove that you suffered actual financial losses stemming from this behavior. Most likely, the lawsuit would be against the government employee in his or her personal capacity, since they were essentially going rogue. Lawsuits of this kind are not often brought, both because of the difficulty in establishing liability (government agencies are generally immune to lawsuits--you need to prove malicious intent) and because most individuals do not have the money to pay any significant judgments. Still, it would certainly be wise to consult with some local attorneys. See here for a list of attorneys who can potentially help.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary.