Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My fiancé and i work for the same employer... he is a

Customer Question
My fiancé and i...

My fiancé and i work for the same employer... he is a supervisor, I am a QA on a different shift. He received a call today terminating for being accused of breaking sexual harassment policy... I assure you there is no way he has broken any policies and is in fact beng wrongfully accused by an employee he has made mad. I need advice as I fear my position is also now in jeopardy and fear going into the workplace now

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Knoxville, tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time today was his 90th day

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of... neverbeen in this situation

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Under U.S. Department of Labor regulations (29 C.F.R. Section 1604.11(d)), "With respect to conduct between fellow employees, an employer is responsible for acts of sexual harassment in the workplace where the employer (or its agents or supervisory employees) knows or should have known of the conduct, unless it can show that it took immediate and appropriate corrective action."

Because this particular federal regulation is so onerous for an employer, and because of the present politically-charged climate with respect to sexual harassment claims in the media and Congress, employers have become acutely aware of the legal risk imposed by any sexual conduct between employees.

If your finance' has been terminated, then the employer has satisfied the requirements of federal law, so it is now unlikely that you would be terminated from your job position. Note, however, that an employer under TN law is under no obligation to retain any employee, and absent unlawful discrimination based upon race, color, nationality, religion, sex, age or disability, the employer can terminate any employee "at will": at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all! Most employees fail to grasp the tenuousness of their employment relationship, because as a matter of law, an employer can walk any employee to the door at any time and without notice.

Again, based upon your description of the facts, you are unlikely to remain at risk, beacuse the danger to the employer is now mitigated by your fiance's termination (sadly).

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

but he is being falsely accused! and they will not tell him what policy he broke..I know they cant say who accused him but this effects his employment history. So you are telling me he has no rights to defend himself? guarantee they will terminate me as well.. just a matter of time

Your finace' has no right to defend himself -- unless he can prove that he was subjected to sex discrimination by the employer. Unfortunately, termination because of an intimate relationship with a co-worker is not considered sex discrimination (because it is preempted by Section 1604.11(d)) -- so, this will not avail your fiance' as a defense.

If you are concerned about your near-term termination from employment, then you need to "dust off your resume" and start looking for new employment. That's the only way to circumvent the employer's termination.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.
Please don't "shoot the messenger!"

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer