Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My fiancé was wrongfully charged with harassment. I’m a

Customer Question
witness that it did not...
My fiancé was wrongfully charged with harassment. I’m a witness that it did not happen. We went to initial appearance today and was told to come back in March. My fiancé chose to represent himself because he didn’t do anything wrong and didn’t feel the need to get a lawyer. How do we prove he didn’t harass this crazy woman? It’s literally he said she said but with me as a witness provin otherwise
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The person claiming harassment has the burden of proving that it happened. If she can't establish that he more likely than not harassed her, then the final decision should be in his favor. He'll be able to cross examine her to try to prove that she's lying, plus any other witnesses she might call. If she's falsely accused people in the past, that could help.

After she presents her evidence, then your fiancé will be allowed to present his. That's when he'll call you as a witness. Because of your relationship to your fiancé, she's going to try to prove that you're biased in his favor. You may have to explain that your feelings don't change what you saw. At the same time, any other evidence he has may help. If there are other witnesses, he may want to call them. At the end of the day, the court has to weigh the evidence to decide who they believe and who they don't.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?