Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I spoke with a psychiatrist on the phone and gave him some…

Customer Question
I spoke with a...

I spoke with a psychiatrist on the phone and gave him some confidential information which I did not want communicated to anyone and he turned around and called another psychiatrist and gave them the info

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am meeting with an ethics board in Washington DC to discuss

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just looking for solid information so I can be prepared for the meeting with the ethics board

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. So, generally, if you give a covered entity confidential information related to your care, then it is going to be protected from disclosure by HIPAA. A covered entity may share confidential health information with another professional so long as the purpose is for the care of the patient. Covered entities include medical professionals. In this case, if the psychiatrist shared this information with the other psychiatrist for the purpose of furthering your care, then it won't be a HIPAA violation; otherwise, if they were sharing it to gossip, for example, then it's going to be a violation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Tina, Lawyer