Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As a employer i have independent contractors i pay and give…

Customer Question
Second opinion] As a...

Second opinion] As a employer i have independent contractors i pay and give a 1099 at end of year, many had not paid it for 2+ years- if they dont pay, will i have to pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, most are here with itin number and some came back as not matching ssn

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Amadeo Rivera,
 replied 7 months ago
Amadeo Rivera

Good Morning. My name is Marcelo. I have been practicing for 17 years now, and not only receive a number of 1099s every year, but also send out several. The answer is no, you don't become liable, unless for some reason, it was determined that you are masking employees as "independent contractors."

Generally, so long as your independent contractors have the ability to perform their services for other employers (use the term principal instead of employer), and those contractors are not reporting regularly to a job site, such as being required to be in the office by 8 every day of the week, you are probably safe with the "independent contractor" designations.

If you require additional information, please let me know. If I have answered you question, please accept my answer and provide positive feedback.